Sunday 22 March 2015

Makeup Geek Eyeshadows & Swatches | Review

Makeup Geek

Makeup Geek website: click here

If you are reading this review from the UK or outside of the US, you may be thinking what is this brand, I've never heard of it. Well, Makeup Geek is very well-known in the US and if you watch beauty videos on youtube, you may have heard of it too! I think Makeup Geek is a great dupe for MAC eyeshadows. 

I am not exactly sure how long Makeup Geek has been around but I'm gunna guess it is around 2 years? They offer a range of different products and the collection is constantly growing!

I bought my eyeshadows just over a month ago, however only just received them. I will go into detail later about my experience with the shipping from the US. 

The Eyeshadows


I ended up buying 18 eyeshadows from Makeup Geek. I have heard so much about Makeup Geek from the beauty gurus I watch on youtube in addition to the instagram makeup posts I see of people using the products. 

I bought two different types of eyeshadows, foiled and normal eyeshadows.

** I don't think the swatches do the eyeshadows any justice. They look so much better in reality.**

Top row: in the spotlight, grandstand and flame thrower
Middle row: mesmerized, country girl and glamorous
Bottom row: prom night, shimma shimma and drama queen
Left to right: in the spotlight, grandstand and flame thrower (all foiled eyeshadows)
Top to bottom: flame thrower, grandstand and in the spotlight
I bought 4 foiled eyeshadows: in the spotlight, grandstand, flame thrower and mesmerized. These are foiled eyeshadows are so pigmented and creamy. Just a tiny swatch and what is shown above is what you get out of it! You only need a tiny bit of product and that will go such a long way. I love these foiled eyeshadows and I think they would be perfect for a special event like a wedding and even for a night out! 

Left to right: mesmerized, country girl, glamorous, prom night, shimma shimma and drama queen
As mentioned earlier, mesmerized is a foiled eyeshadow. Shimma shimma would be the perfect shade for an inner corner highlight. Country girl is a great crease colour and drama queen would be great for the outer corner. 

Top row: peach smoothie, unexpected and frappe
Middle row: creme brulee, cocoa bear and mocha
Bottom row: mermaid, mercury and corrupt
Left to right: peach smoothie, unexpected, frappe, creme brulee and cocoa bear
Peach smoothie, frappe, creme brulee and cocoa bear are great shades for the crease and building colour to get a very blended out look and sculpting the eye. Cocoa bear would also be a very good outer crease colour . Unexpected is a very nice matte lid shade. Peach smoothie would be the perfect crease shade for you if you have a lighter skin tone. It doesn't come out as pigmented on me because of my skin tone.

Left to right: mocha, mermaid, mercury and corrupt
Corrupt is such a pigmented shade and I did experience a little fallout with this. However, I have never come across a matte black that has not had fallout so it was to be expected. Mermaid is such a beautiful shade. Mocha is another great shade for the crease and outer corner.

Note: These eyeshadows will come out differently on different skin tones. E.g. the lighter shades like creme brulee hasn't come out that pigmented on me, however it is really pigmented when applied on someone who has a lighter skin tone.

What I think of Makeup Geek

I am incredibly impressed with these eyeshadows, especially the foiled  eyeshadows! They are very affordable although they are a little difficult to get hold off due to the store being located in the US.

I own a few MAC eyeshadows and I definitely prefer these eyeshadows. They are very similar in size and MAC's eyeshadows are £13 each which I think is very expensive for just a small single eyeshadow.

I will now list the prices of the Makeup Geek eyeshadows. Due to having the products shipped over to the UK from the US, I did have to pay custom charges so I will list the approximate price for if you are shopping from the UK in addition to the US prices.

Makeup Geek Prices:

Foiled eyeshadows: US $9.99 UK £8 (including 20% tax)
Normal eyeshadow pans: US $5.99 UK £4.80 (including 20% tax)

Z Palette (black): US $14.99 UK £12 (including 20% tax)
Z Palette (pink): US $14.99 UK £12 (including 20% tax)

Would I recommend Makeup Geek?

I highly recommend these eyeshadows if you are a makeup artist or just enjoy wearing makeup. They are so affordable and great quality. I definitely prefer these eyeshadows to my MAC eyeshadows and they are a fraction of the price which makes it so much better!

**NOTE: I had trouble having these shipped over from the US because Makeup Geek use Royal Mail and unfortunately, I never received the note from Royal Mail saying that I had to go to the post office to pay my custom charges. I have ordered from the US before (BH Cosmetics) and never had any trouble. I think Royal Mail just made a mistake or the slip got lost in the post. I don't think this happens often so please do not think Makeup Geek aren't reliable because they are. I just had trouble with my order. 



1 comment:

  1. Love! love! love these colours!
    especially the shimmery ones. x

    ReplyDelete